1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JL 3.6 eTorque Stop/Start with Generator, Alternator Delete????

Discussion in 'Wrangler JL (2018+)' started by shooter65, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Jun 19, 2023 at 5:23 AM
    shooter65

shooter65 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southwest PA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Rubicon 4 Door
    Hello,

We're looking at replacing my wife's 2010 Avenger R/T 3.5 H.O. winter daily driver. We've both always liked the Wranglers but the 392, starting at 85K is a little steep, we're trying to cut expenses to load up savings before retirement.

Anybody have any experience with the 3.6 eTorque Stop/Start with Generator, Alternator Delete? I'm not looking forward to having to turn off the Stop/Start every time we start the damn thing up and I'm nervous about the generator instead of an alternator. I know the Stop/Start has been around for FCA for at least 10 years but I didn't realize they switched back to a generator for these engines. When did this happen?

Thanks.

Sorry, I should have said that I'm a newbie, both to this site and to Wranglers if we get one. I've been a Mopar guy my whole life and been a mopar only guy since 1998.

I've had several Mopars through the years, 1977 LeBaron, 1978 LeBaron, 1981 LeBaron, 1979 Cordoba, 1987 Turismo, all used. Purchased new are are 1996 Intrepid ES, 1998 Ram 1500 SLT, 5.9L Gas, 2006 Charger 3.5L H.O., all sold. Currently I have 2010 Avenger R/T 3.5L H.O., 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins, 2019 Charger ScatPack, 1969 Sport Fury 440 Super Commando and a 1969 Monaco 383 HP parts car for my Fury restoration.

I hope you will be patient with my novice questions about the Wranglers.

Thanks,

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
  2. Jun 20, 2023 at 5:29 AM
    shooter65

shooter65 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southwest PA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Rubicon 4 Door
    A couple of members on the C-Body forum I belong to came through, regarding the Stop/Start. Someone is selling a device to bypass it but the option I like better is, when the battery gets weak or goes dead, the system will "permanently" deactivate as if you're pressing the button to deactivate. This is to prevent a bunch of cars being disabled at stop lights, LOL. When you replace the battery, don't have the dealership reactivate the Stop/Start. Problem solved!

Bob likes this.
  3. Jun 20, 2023 at 6:49 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    No experience with the 3.6 eTorque but I have a Forester with the S/S and it's become a learned routine to press the button each time to eliminate the S/S function. My only concern with S/S is the potential effects on the starting system long term. S/S has been proven to save fractions of a gallon and I'll probably turn it on while stuck on the highway for an extended period of stop and go traffic. IMO I don't think it + or - whether the vehicle uses a generator or alternator as its part of the vehicle design.

Bob and shooter65[QUOTED][OP] like this.
To Top