1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Already replaced alternator battery TIPM and still going crazy

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee' started by CharityLee, Jul 15, 2024.

1. Jul 15, 2024 at 2:54 AM
    CharityLee

CharityLee [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charity
    Vehicle:
    2011 Jeep grand Cherokee Laredo 3.6
    I was driving my jeep one day and the battery light came on, I went to O’reilly and they hooked a obd2 scanner up and said alternator had low voltage. I replaced the alternator, then they said the battery was bad so I bought a new battery then the red lighting bolt light popped up on the dash, so I replaced TIPM.. when I crank the jeep and drive it for less then 2 miles, the abs , traction control, air bag lights all come on and then the battery light comes back on and radio shuts off air will start blowing hot, service park assist system comes
    On the screen, then jeep will turn off like the battery is dead.. but when I leave it parked for a couple of hours and go back out there it cranks up but does the same thing. The belt that’s on the alternator and everything is spinning slow and then will speed up and then go slow again.. then the jeep will cut off.. can someone tell me what it might be.. obd2 scanner is only pulling up permanent codes p0128 and p0430. I was told pcm, b it I thought the check engine light would be on if something was wrong with the pcm and my check engine light isn’t on..

2. Aug 11, 2024 at 8:50 PM
    MackDogDiesel

MackDogDiesel Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2019 sting gray grand cherokee
    Steel front bumper, all terrain aggressive tires, side step rails, class 4 receiver with dual American flag mounts, roof rack, 10 LED light bars, rock lights, master control switch board, American flag decals, 2 inch lift, 2 inch spacers, slotted rotors.
    The P0128 indicates that the engine coolant temperature is below the thermostat's regulating temperature. This could be due to a number of factors, including: A faulty thermostat, Low coolant levels, A malfunctioning coolant temperature sensor, A damaged or clogged radiator, and A malfunctioning ECM (Engine Control Module) or PCM (Powertrain Control Module). Check coolant level, inspect radiator for damages/leaks, ensure thermostat opens and closes, and inspect temperature sensor wiring. Very rare for ECM or PCM.

P0430 is a “Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2).” It warns about a problem with the catalytic converter mounted near engine bank 2 (the side of the engine opposite the number one cylinder). Inspect the sensor wiring to ensure there is no damage or corrosion. If so, replace sensor. Do not attempt to repair wire!

3. Aug 12, 2024 at 3:18 PM
    CharityLee

CharityLee [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charity
    Vehicle:
    2011 Jeep grand Cherokee Laredo 3.6
    Would the check engine light be on if the pack was bad??

4. Aug 13, 2024 at 3:23 AM
    MackDogDiesel

MackDogDiesel Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2019 sting gray grand cherokee
    Steel front bumper, all terrain aggressive tires, side step rails, class 4 receiver with dual American flag mounts, roof rack, 10 LED light bars, rock lights, master control switch board, American flag decals, 2 inch lift, 2 inch spacers, slotted rotors.
    Not always. If it's a wiring issue and it grounds itself out due to an exposed wire touching metal, It will throw a code going active to Inactive. Also check your fuse panel for any blown fuses. If a fuse is blown, the CEL light will not come on but it will store a code.

To Top