1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

42re transmission shift solenoid replacement issue

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee' started by Mrs.T23, Sep 9, 2023.

1. Sep 9, 2023 at 3:35 PM
    Mrs.T23

Mrs.T23 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Misty
    Vehicle:
    04 grand Cherokee limited 4.0 v6 aka Nola
    Hey all. I'm not new to the forum, just can't seem to find my login info, so here I am under an assumed new name. I love this forum, y'all have inadvertently helped so often with any struggle or anything really. Normally I don't mind being stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to my Nola... But it's usually a mudding or off roading one liner I'm referring to whilst getting my adrenaline on.
    Let me make an intro, she's almost 20, an 04 black grand Cherokee limited. Has that indestructible inline 6, 4.0, but most importantly for now, but unfortunately they didn't make the 42re transmission as indestructible, yesterday morning she finally went into limp mode. I'm hoping this solenoid is going to do the trick because if it's the torque converter as well then I'm dead in the water until next payday. I can only afford a solenoid problem at the moment. Anyway, long story... Longer, I'm replacing the shift solenoid, everything has been going fairly smoothly until now. So... I've successfully pulled and swapped the solenoid, have a replacement 3-4 spring/housing. Got all the screws out of the outside connector... But it seems to be snagged on something. I'm nervous to keep trying to man handle it out because I don't know what's behind it or holding it in there. Any advice? If it could be extra quick that would be awesome... I'm kinda stranded and desperate.
    Thank you so much in advance. I do appreciate any advice anyone has for me

2. Sep 13, 2023 at 7:51 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Sorry to hear about your transmission troubles but a trusted transmission shop would be my advice if your repair attempts do not make a difference. Transmissions are very complicated and if your transmission has a dip stick there may be several steps followed in order to get correct readings. Color of the ATF, smell, metal shavings, burnt ATF etc could give clues of internal problems with slipping, worn clutch etc. IMO make sure the correct OEM ATF is used rather than multi-vehicle. A good shop may be able to scan for transmission specific codes that may help identify the problem.

To Top