1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 GrandCherokee rattle

Discussion in 'General Jeep Discussion' started by kbinthelbg, Jul 7, 2024.

1. Jul 7, 2024 at 8:06 AM
    kbinthelbg

kbinthelbg [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello everyone I’m a newbie here and I figured that someone here could help my issue. I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee 3.6 V6. My issue started many months back with what sounded like a rattling coming from the right rear. I thought it may have been something in the spare tire compartment but it wasn’t. It would come and go. I went under the rear and put a 6” piece of runner hose on the emergency brake line because it looked as if it had been bouncing and hitting something. I’m not too familiar with names or parts. Then one day I start backing out of my yard and I hear a boink sound and it seemed to come from the right rear. As I’m backing up I start hearing a click/ticking sound from the right rear. Almost like a rotation of the tire every 360 degrees as it rotates click, click….. as I speed up it sounds like a playing card in a bicycle spoke.
    One day I got in a parking lot and went slow, o foot on the gas and it sounded as if it was coming from the front left tire. A gain click, 360 rotation, click and again all over. My brother and I was going down the road about 25 mph and he was hanging out of the right side and again it sounded as if it was coming from the ignition rear. We checked the rear CV axles. The right rear boot had a hole in it so we replaced it. That did not stop it. This comes and goes. About 90% of the time. Yesterday I was Almost home and my right rear felt like I had a flat tire. I let off of the gas and pulled in my driveway. I did not see anything. My tire was fine, nothing hanging. This has gotten numerous mechanics around my town baffled. I have yet to take it to a Jeep dealership. One last thing, I had been getting an omissions fault on my code reader and I always clear it. This may happen once every 2 or 3 weeks. Thanks in advance guys.

2. Jul 8, 2024 at 8:10 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    With "numerous mechanics around my town baffled" it's probably time to find a better mechanic or visit the Jeep dealer. Based on your story the rattle could range from exhaust pipe rattling to making contact to wheel bearings or worse an issue within the axle. Post up whats discovered.

LYFZGOOD likes this.
To Top