1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1984 CJ Starter Issues

Discussion in 'CJ' started by Jackb, Jun 15, 2023.

1. Jun 15, 2023 at 6:07 PM
    Jackb

Jackb [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    1984 CJ7
    Greetings..I just purchased my first Jeep and am new to the forum. Its a 1984 CJ7 with the 4.2 and Im having an issue with finding a replacement starter and Im hoping someone help. When I purchased the Jeep it started and ran fine but was a wiring nightmare so I decided to rewire it. The rewiring went fine but now I have a new issue. When I purchased it the Jeep had a GM type starter with the solenoid on the body of the starter. The Painless harness I used to was set up for a Ford type starter with a remote solenoid so I thought I would go back to that. Im pretty sure the Jeep had a remote solenoid in the past as the bolts were still in place on the passenger fender well. The problem Im having now is that I cant seem to find a new starter that will disengage from the flywheel all the way. Ive tried 4 now and they all do the same thing, the Jeep starts fine but then drags the starter with it . Can anyone shed some light on what might be going on here? Im starting to think there might have been a reason the PO went with the GM type. I would be OK with going back to the GM type but of course I turned in the old starter that was working for the lousy core charge so I have no idea which one it was...

To Top